BBSA All-Star: Ryan Gilbert

Ryan was the first person I met on a one-on-one basis in BBSA. We sat across from each other in the very first BBSA inquiry meeting. Both of us looking a little lost, as we had never heard of an organization like it before, we listened to the faculty explain the program. Later we met in the elevator and formed a quick bond over how difficult ACCT 301A had been.

Today, Ryan is one of our most dedicated members. He offers suggestions, comes prepared for early morning board meetings (even though he isn’t even a board member), and is always the first member to get requirements met. Taking time out of his Friday night, he graciously sat with me to interview him for this piece. His initiative, humbleness, and dedication is what made me choose him for our first BBSA All-Star. Join us as we learn more about Ryan…

Ryan, what is your major and how did you choose it?

I chose to major in finance. After considering becoming an accounting major, I found that finance came more naturally to me. The more courses I took, the more I enjoyed it. The information really developed my passion for it, and I found that I was especially interested in the insurance and financial analyst courses. Always having been a numbers person, I feel like I can help more people having a career in finance.

What are you looking for in a career and what do you hope to achieve?

I want to be able to help people through finance. I would like to help people budget their money and help them realize their full financial potential. I would also like to travel. I know that business is a worldwide concept, and having a global mind set is important. My goals are to work in the insurance industry, complete the Series 6 test, and finally become a financial analyst.

What has been your biggest achievement thus far?

Being the first person in my family to go to college and graduate is my biggest achievement so far. I graduate this coming fall.

What do you want to get out of BBSA?

I would like to meet as many people as I can. I enjoy making connections with fellow students, other campuses, and professionals. I look forward to networking with different companies, and helping newer students. Having the opportunity to mentor newer students in their fields of study, and helping them learn to network is a goal of mine even after I graduate.

Do you have any advice for fellow and future all-stars?

The key is time management. Know how to manage your time properly. After starting school at Fullerton, I took on a new job with UPS that challenged my time constraints. I had to learn when and where to fit class, study, work, and anything else I wanted to do. Keeping an open mind to anything you think could benefit you in the future is also something to keep in mind. Many organizations and opportunities become available and you should think about which ones will serve your needs the best.

Lastly, can you name one thing on your bucket list?

I had a dream a long time ago that after I graduated college, I took a trip to Brazil, and it was fantastic! The water, the views, the people. Then, I was interrupted by an alarm clock. The alarm clock was my mother. Ever since then, getting to Brazil has been one of my goals.

Well, I am sure he is going to get there someday. Thank you Ryan for taking the time out to talk to us. I hope you all have enjoyed getting to know Ryan Gilbert as much as I have. Be sure to say “Hi!” to him if you see him around.

Stay tuned for the next BBSA All-Star interview!

Rocky Kelly – BBSA President

Comments : 0